Пф вавілон підготовка до євро – 2012 курс з англійської мови для волонтерів Харків - страница №1/4
ПІДГОТОВКА ДО ЄВРО – 2012
курс з англійської мови для волонтерів
GETTING ACQUAINTED - ЗНАКОМСТВО
-Hello! How are you? - Fine, thank you. How are you?
-Good morning! I'm glad to see you. - Hello! I'm glad to see you too.
-Hi! How are you doing? - Fine, thanks. And you?
-It was nice seeing you. Good-bye!
-Take care now. Bye-bye!
-Have a nice weekend. - Thanks, you too.
-Say hello to your family for me. - Thank you, I will.
-See you tomorrow.
-Maria, this is Betty, a friend of mine.
-It's nice to meet you. - I'm glad to meet you.
-Where are you from, Maria? - I'm from Russia.
-Oh really? How long have you been here? - About a week.
-What do you think of Chicago? - It's a beautiful city. I like it very much.
-Well, I've got to go now. Nice meeting you! - It was nice meeting you. Bye!
- How do you do, Paul. Is it your first visit to Ukraine?
- No, I was there many years ago. It was a brief visit.
- You didn't see much of Ukraine then, did you?
- Very little, I'm afraid. This time I believe I'll be able to visit Kyiv, Odessa, and Lviv.
- I'm sure you'll find that we have an interesting, varied and beautiful country. Ukraine is full of different peoples, scenery and customs. No doubt, you'll have an exciting experience. I recommend you to visit…
SERVICES – СФЕРА ОБСЛУЖИВАНИЯ
-Good morning. Are you ready to order?
-Yes, I am, thank you. I´ll have three scrambled eggs with country ham, toast and jam, please.
-Would you like anything to drink?
-I´ll have a tomato juice and some iced tea.
-Yes, please. May I see the wine list?
-Certainly. Here you are.
- A glass of red semi-dry, please.
- Can I get you anything else?
- No thanks. I'd like the check (bill - UK English), please.
- That'll be $6.75.
- Here you are. Keep the change!
- Thank you! Have a good day!
-Good morning. May I help you?
-I´d like to rent a car, please.
-Okay. Full-size, mid-size or compact, ma´am?
-Full-size, please. What´s the rate?
-500 uah a day with unlimited mileage.
-And I´d like to have insurance just in case.
-Is there an additional driver?
-If you want full coverage insurance, it will be 80 uah per day. It includes collision damage and personal accident insurance.
-All right. I´ll take it.
-Here is our brochure, ma´am. Err... full-size... OK. Please choose a model in this section.
-How about this one?
-All right. How many days would you like to use it?
-Just one day.
-May I see your driver´s license and credit card please?
-Is the international driving licence fine?
-Yes, it is.
-Here you are.
-Thank you. Please fill in this form. Can you check this box, and put your initials here, and again here.
Booking a hotel room
-Good afternoon, Park Hotel. May I help you?
-Yes. I´d like to book a room, please.
-Certainly. When for, madam?
-June the 8th.
-How long will you be staying?
-What kind of room would you like, madam?
-Er... double with bath.
-Certainly, madam. I´ll just check what we have available. . . Yes, we have a room on the 4th floor with a really splendid view.
-Fine. How much is the charge per night?
-500 uah. Would you like breakfast?
-It´s eighty four euro per night excluding VAT.
-Who´s the booking for, please, madam?
-Mr and Mrs Ryefield, that´s R-Y-E-F-I-E-L-D.
-Okay, let me make sure I got that: Mr and Mrs Ryefield. Double with bath for June the 8th, 9th and 10th. Is that correct?
-Yes it is. Thank you.
-Let me give you your confirmation number. It´s: 7576385. I´ll repeat that: 7576385. Thank you for choosing Park Hotel and have a nice day. Goodbye.
-Can I help you?
-Yes, I'm looking for a sweater.
-What size are you?
-I'm an extra large.
-How about this one?
-Yes, that's nice. Can I try it on?
-Certainly, there're the changing rooms over there.
-How does it fit?
-It's too large. Do you have an L?
-Yes, here you are.
-Thank you. I'll have it, please.
-OK, how would you like to pay?
-Do you take credit cards?
-Yes, we do. Visa, Master Card and American Express.
-OK, here's my Visa.
-Thank you. Have a nice day!
-Thank you, goodbye.
IN THE CITY – В ГОРОДЕ
- What time does the next train to Kyiv leave?
- At 22.50, from platform 1.
- Is it a direct train to Kyiv?
-Yes, you don’t have to change.
- I see. One ticket to Kyiv, lower birth, please.
- Single or return, sir?
- Single, please.
-150 uah, please.
- Here you are.
- Here´s your ticket and change, sir.
Asking the way
- What is it?
- Can you tell me how to get to the circus?
- Certainly. You need a number 4 trolley-bus or a number 11 bus.
- Which is the best way to get there?
- By trolley-bus, I think.
- Thanks a lot.
At the bus stop
- Does this bus go to the station?
- No, you'll have to get off at the Constitution Square and take a 47.
- Can you tell me where to get off?
- It's the next stop but one.
- Thank you.
On a bus
- Where do you want to get to?
- The Railway station.
- You're going the wrong way. You're going away from it.
- Oh, dear. What'll I do, then?
- Get off at the next stop, cross the road and take the same tram going the other way.
- Thanks. Do I have to change?
- No, not for the Railway station.
On a taxi
-Hello Miss, do you need a taxi?
-Do you have any luggage?
-Just these two suitcases.
-OK, I'll put them in the back for you. Where are you going?
-I think there are two in Kharkiv. Which one are you going to?
-The one downtown.
-Is this your first time in Kharkiv?
-No. I've been here many times. I come here for work all the time. Will it take long?
-It shouldn't take long. Probably about 15 minutes.
- Northwind Airways, good morning. May I help you?
- Yes, do you have any flights to Sydney next Tuesday afternoon?
- One moment, please... Yes. There´s a flight at 16:45 and one at 18:00.
- That´s fine. Could you tell me how much a return flight costs? I´ll be staying three weeks.
- Economy, business class or first class ticket?
- Economy, please.
- That would be €346. Could I have your name, please?
- My name is Mary Jones, that´s M-A-R-Y J-O-N-E-S.
- How would you like to pay, Ms. Jones?
SPORT – СПОРТ
Talking about football
-What's your favorite sport?
-I like football. I watch the games on TV all the time.
-Who's your favorite team?
-They're really good this year, aren't they?
-Yes. Do you like them?
-Yes. Everyone around here does.
-Do you think they'll win the championship this year?
-It's possible. They have some really good players.
-Did you watch the game last night?
-A little, not the whole thing. I watched the second half
-It was a great game, wasn't it?
-Yeah. Do you know who they're playing tomorrow night?
- Is football popular in Germany?
- Yes, very much, especially in autumn. It's played by almost every college and university in the country. Besides there are professional football teams in all the major cities in Germany. There are always a lot of people at football matches which are accompanied by uniformed bands and pretty girls who cheer the football fans. They are called cheer-leaders.
- What other games are also popular in your country?
- Well, basketball. Basketball is played at schools, colleges and clubs. Many Germans prefer it to football because it's faster than football.
The regional sports complex “Metalist” is a multifunctional stadium located in Kharkov, Ukraine. “Metalist” is the central stadium of the city primarily used for football matches. It is the venue for home matches of FC “Metalist” (Kharkov).
The stadium will be the host of several matches of the European Football Championship 2012. Also, the stadium takes some matches of Ukrainian national football team. December 5, 2009 stadium “Metalist” was opened after renovation. Today the main football arena of Kharkov can accommodate more than 37 thousand people. The infrastructure of the stadium meets all the requirements of UEFA.
Taking a picture
- Excuse me. Could you please take a picture of us with this camera?
- Sure. Which button do I press to shoot?
- This one.
- Do I have to focus it?
- No, this is a focus-free camera. All you have to do is point and press the button.
- All right. Say "cheese".
- Hi Chris, would you like to do something interesting this weekend?
- Sure. What shall we do?
- I don't know. Do you have any ideas?
- Why don't we go to the municipal gallery?
- That's sounds good to me. Which exhibition is there?
- A new photo-exhibition “Unknown Ukraine”.
- I'd rather not. I don't like photo-exhibitions. How about going to the historical museum?
- OK. Let's go tomorrow before the match.
- Shall we have a bite to eat before?
- Sure, that sounds great. What about going to the new Italian restaurant?
- Great idea! Let's meet there at four.
- OK. Bye. See you tomorrow.
- Do you have anything arranged for tomorrow?
- Nothing definite.
- How would you like to go on an excursion?
- Where to?
- To Poltava.
- Oh, yes, I'd be glad to!
- Is it possible to get tickets for tonight?
- You can sit wherever you like in the first row.
- Isn't there anything a little less dear?
- No, I'm afraid you've come rather late.
следующая страница >>